Sunday, August 24, 2008

A word on translation



The whole things-amusingly-translated thing in China is honestly a bit odd to me. The thing I don't understand is that there are plenty of people on Earth, and probably right here in China, who are perfectly capable of translating Mandarin Chinese into English, even if some of the words don't exactly match in each. I just don't quite understand how one of them at some point wouldn't say to, perhaps, the restaurant manager of my hotel, something like: "You can't list this cereal as 'honey nachos.' You see, in English that means putting a sweet sugary substance on a Mexican treat with tortilla chips, cheese, beans, jalapenos, perhaps some meat, and that's not what you're going for in trying to describe a breakfast cereal. Tell me what you'd like it to represent and I'll offer you a better suggestion."

How on earth is there no one who could question "go-to-court with son" as a house specialty? What is this supposed to accomplish by listing this item? "Hey honey, what are you hungry for tonight?" "I don't know, maybe some seafood?" "No, I was thinking that I could really go for some good go-to-court with son. What say we head over to the Kongfu?"
Or this restaurant above that I walked by today. It's called "dishes, dumplings, Museum." Museum! Honestly, is there not one person who could tell the owners of this restaurant what's gone wrong here?
It seems to me that all of these are honest-to-goodness efforts to try to describe whatever concept they are trying to sell. But how can that possibly be? Is there no one who can speak Chinese and English willing to expose this, or is it just some enormous internal joke among translators? I just don't understand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually would love some honey nachos. that sounds delicious!