Saturday, August 23, 2008

1 billion nice people, one angry one

Last nigth I met the angriest woman I've ever seen in my life. By and large, the Chinese people I've come across have been quite nice and willing to help as best they can. But there was one exception.
When 90,000 people let out of the Bird's Nest after a night event, they are herded to a subway station and set loose by subway across Beijing. The subways are insanely cheap, about 30 cents a ride. One of the better things the Olympics folks have done is waive the need for that ticket at the end of events. Imagine 90,000 tired and sweaty people lining up at a ticket station to pay their 30 cents and you can see the problem there.
The thing with the Beijing subway though is that when you leave the station, you need to surrender your ticket. No ticket, no exit. You'd think they would waive that last rule about needing a ticket to exit during the Olympics. Maybe they do for the stations near the Olympic Green, but mine was pretty far away, and by the time I was exiting my station, I realized I didn't have a darn ticket to let me out.
It was then that the angriest woman I've ever seen in my life emerged from a ticket booth and started laying into me. Oh, there was a lot on her mind and she let me have it. The only thing I could think to say, rather meekly, was "Olympics?" Eric had given me a Chinese-English dictionary (thanks Eric!) and I've been carrying it with me, but unfortunately it does not contain the phrase "Listen, sunshine, you may not realize this but you're really angry with the International Olympic Committee, not me. I didn't make the rules. Can you cut me some slack please?" Some dictionary.
Eventually she let me go, but only after two Chinese people who were mercifully in the same boat I was started yelling back at her. The lady opened the gate for us, but she's probably still steaming about it.

2 comments:

Roby said...

I love that all you could come up with is "olympics?" That's hilarious...
I also love that you refer to this gal as "sunshine..." just like one of Leon's girls.
I'm finding myself wondering what you're doing all the time - It's almost a relief when I've found that you've sent an update! Keep 'em coming...

Anonymous said...

That's it?! I gave you that book, and that's it?! Sheesh!