Friday, August 22, 2008

USA House is like a home


My bosses had advised me when I got here to find the USA House as soon as possible and camp out there. I didn't quite grasp the significance. I do now.
Oh, what a glorious, splendorous place this is. The US Olympic Committee basically takes over a four-story building near one of the venues and offers it as a refuge for athletes, USOC bigwigs and anyone doing business in an Olympic capacity with the US. The trick is, it's invite only.
I figured out a way in though by setting up an interview with the lead guy behind the bid by Chicago to get the 2016 Games. I spoke to him for about 15 minutes, but that was enough to earn me an all-day pass. The best part? Lots and lots and lots of free food. And food that's recognizable. Nothing from a dog. No sheep elbows. No fish heads. Just endless buffet tables of delicious American food. Well, that and Peking Duck. It was quite a spread.
So, I grab a few plates of stuff and sit down in a cafeteria area where they have some Olympic events on big screens. And I look over to my right, and next thing I know, gymnast Shawn Johnson sits down at the next table with her family and some USOC press person to hammer out her strategy in commenting or not commenting about the probe into the age of the Chinese gymnasts.
Say what you want about how old those Chinese gymnasts are, but let's talk about how short ours are. I was not wearing a shirt with a pocket, but if I was, I am telling you I could have put Shawn Johnson into that pocket. That girl is perhaps five inches tall. The camera puts on about four feet apparently. It was shocking how tiny she was. I eavesdropped for awhile and then watched lots of people tried to take her picture.
After a few hours of air conditioned bliss (and not the re-conditioned smoggy mess that passes for air conditioning on Beijing subways, perhaps more on that later) I ventured off to my first Olympic event: Track and Field.

3 comments:

Tuesday Roby said...

I knew Shawn was small, but wow! I think she might be a mouse, especially with the teeth. The cutest mouse ever! I look forward to your blog everyday! They are the best!
Thanks so much! WOW! All the food.......weirdness.

Adele said...

How awesome that you got to go and experience all this!

Chasaraben said...

I'm just glad you didn't put Shawn in your pocket. I don't know that we would be able to retrieve you from Olympic time out!

The kids think it's SOOOO cool to know someone at the Olympics- you are as famous in their eyes as Michael Phelps!