Monday, August 25, 2008

Hot pot fun


After all that strolling, Kevin and I were pretty famished and he suggested a truly Chinese experience for my last culinary treat here: Hot pot.

Not quite like the "hot dish" they have in Minnesota. In this version, you buy a bunch of meat and vegetable and dip them into one of two vats of water that boil in front of you. The vat on the left in this photo is the soothing, pleasant-tasting one. The vat on the right is the spicy one, and holy cow is it spicy.

And of course, no meal in this city can come without something absolutely egregiously mis-translated on the menu. Among our options were "variegated crap heads" and "fresh grass crap slices." I kid you not.

Mmm, crap slices.

We opted out of those and stuck mostly with beef. It was all quite tasty and I felt like I had finally had a reasonably authentic Chinese meal before I left here. The only downside? That hot pot gets awfully steamy and after a day walking a bazillion miles in the heat and humidity, I had had enough of steam. Or, maybe it was an appropriate way to end the day.

No comments: